MA Fashion Design Course Highlights
||Under Graduation in any relevant field from a recognized college or university.
||Merit based or Entrance based
|Top Entrance examinations
||AIFD, CEED, PAF, NIFT, SOFT, etc.
|Average tuition fee
||INR 2 to 12 Lakhs
||Fashion Coordinators, Fashion Consultant, Fashion Journalist, Textile Designer, Textile Designer, etc.
||INR 3 to 12 Lakhs
|Top Recruiting Companies
||Raymonds, Allen Solly, Adidas, Spykar,Pantaloons, AND, Swarovski, Bata, Lifestyle, etc.
||MNCs, Consulting Firms, Colleges and universities Garment stores, Textile mills, etc.
MA Fashion Design Course Overview
Fashion designing is a specialization that covers diverse aspects like fabrics, styles, patterns, colors, and trends around fashion. It also includes accessories, handbags, and footwear. Good drawing skills, creativity, artistic thinking, innovative skills, observation skills, competitiveness, and communication skills are needed to become a successful designer.
M.A. Fashion Design Related Courses
- Diploma courses in fashion are fashion design, fashion communication, fashion accessories, fashion illustration, fashion marketing, and fashion management.
- Bachelors degree options are fashion style and image designing, fashion design, leather design, jewelley design and communication design.
- Masters degree can be attained in fashion design, fashion design and business management, textile management, fashion communication and fashion merchandising and retail management.
M.A. Fashion Design Job Opportunities
Fashion designing job opportunities are fashion designer, fashion show organizers, technical designer, fashion consultant, fashion concept manager, fashion marketer, quality controller, footwear designer, fashion coordinator, costume designer, apparel production manager, entrepreneur, cutting assistant, graphic designer, fabric buyer, showroom sales representative, and production pattern maker.
Fashion illustrator creates visual concepts using computer software to captivate consumers. They form the overall layout and production design for applications such as advertisements, magazines, and reports.
The fashion coordinator has to coordinate fashion shows and promotional shows for brands.
Fashion consultants give fashion advice to individuals, customers, and companies.
Fashion accessory designer conceptualizes designs to create products complimenting fashion costumes and looks.
M.A. Fashion Design Brands to look for
Leading hiring companies are Shoppers Stop, Raymonds, Pantaloon, Levis, Proline, Snapdeal, Amazon, Armani Exchange, H&M, Only, Vero Moda, Zink London, Allen Solly, Bata, Crocs, Skechers, Steve Maden, Clarks, Ceriz, Zara, Burberry, Tommy Hilfiger, Louis Vitton, Hermes, AND, Spykar, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rohit Bahl, fashion designing companies, fashion shops, shopping malls, Global Desi, Biba, and fashion show companies. M.A. Fashion Design is a two-year post-graduate course and colleges select candidates on the basis of merit or entrance exams.
Subjects of study in this course are apparel manufacturing technology, fashion communication, advanced pattern making, construction of women’s wear, design illustration, computer designing, seminar, retail marketing, merchandising, and knitwear technology. This course is suitable for those who want to go into the teaching field, understand concepts related to costume, jewellery, leather goods, and keep abreast of fresh fashion trends.
MA Fashion Design Syllabus
MA Fashion Design is a 2 year long degree program. The two year course is divided into four semesters. The semester wise syllabus of the program is given below. It may differ from college to college.
||Computer Designing 1
|Advanced Pattern Making 1
||Retail Marketing & Merchandise 1
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology
||Design Illustration 1
|Construction of Women’s Wear
|Advanced Pattern Making 2
||Computer Designing 2
|Construction of men’s wear
||Retail Marketing & Merchandise 2
|Knitwear Design Technology
||Design Illustration 2
M.A. Fashion Design Admission Process
In the case of merit-based admission, candidates have to apply to their respective colleges online or offline. Check the cutoff and submit the required documents. For entrance-based admission, they have to apply, give the entrance exam, go for an interview, counseling, and then submit their documents.
M.A. Fashion Design Entrance Exams
- Entrance exams for fashion designing are PAF, CEED, SOFT CED, AIFD WAT, and NIFT.
- PAF is conducted by Pearl Academy annually as per the availability of seats.
- CEED is a joint entrance exam held annually for PG courses.
- SOFT CED is a three-stage entrance exam conducted by the School of Fashion Technology. AIFD WAT is conducted by the Army Institute of Fashion Technology.
- NIFT is conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology.
- These entrances have a common pattern with three sections- general ability test, creativity ability test, and personal interview and group discussion.
- For the creative ability test, candidates must have an eye for observation and visualization. They should practice time management and think uniquely to forge advanced ideas.
- The general ability test has questions related to reading, comprehension, verbal ability, basic maths, logical reasoning, and general knowledge. After pursuing this course students learn to develop new styles and products for clothing brands.
- Higher opportunities are Masters in Fashion Management, Masters of Business Management in Fashion Design, or Ph.D. Fashion Design.
M.A. Fashion Design Colleges Offering Fashion Designing Courses
Superior colleges based on placements are NIFT Delhi, VIFT, Army Institute of Fashion Technology, Symbiosis Institute of Design, National Institute of Design, Arch Academy Design, International Institute of Fashion Design, and Pearl Academy.
The best colleges in Mumbai are NIFT Mumbai, International Institute of Fashion Design, International Society of Fashion Technology, Amity University, Aditya College of Design, Institute of Fashion Technology and Design, Raffles Design International, and Pannache International School of Design.
The top colleges in Delhi are NIFT, Pearl Academy, Amity University, Vidya Institute of Fashion Technology, and Apeejay Institute of Design.
Supreme colleges in Bangalore are JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Indian Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore University, Government Women’s Polytechnic College, and LISAA School of Design.
Main colleges in Jaipur are the Institute of Management Studies, Poornima University, School of Textile and Fashion Design, Jaipur National University, and Banasthali Vidyapeeth.
Dominant colleges in Pune are Times and Trends Academy, SNFT Women’s University, International Institute of Fashion Design, Jagannath Rathi Vocational Guidance and Training Institute, and Suryadutta Institute of Fashion Technology.
Major colleges in Kolkata are INIFD, NSOU, Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Institute of Technology, SBIHM Institute of Technology, and Ionic Fashion Academy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1:-What are various job profiles available for MA Fashion Design?
Ans:-Fashion design graduates can work as graphic designers, fashion coordinators, fashion stylists, fashion consultants, and fashion accessories design.
Q2:-What is the average salary after this course?
Ans:-The average salary can be between 3 to 12 LPA.
Q3:-What are the skills required to become a fashion designer?
Ans:-Fashion designers have to be creative, artistic, drawing ability, visualization and business sense
Q4:-What is the duration of this course?
Ans:-This course for a span of two years
Q5:-What subjects are taught in this course?
Ans:-Fashion communication, apparel manufacturing technology, and knitwear designing are some subjects taught in this course.