Smt. Rajam Saraswathi was a teacher of Mahila Seva Samaja. She founded the school in a rented house called “Wood Bines”. In 1952, the school started with 15 students and only Nursery and Primary Education were offered. In the year 1955, with the help of the Education Department, a Composite School was established. In 1956 the high school section was established. By 1959, the first batch of 14 students appeared for the S.S.L.C Examinations.The school, later moved to Karanikara Pathashala on Vani Vilas Road in Basavanagudi. The school moved to its own new building in 1986. Between 1986 and 2002, the building was upgraded to have 40 classrooms, a library and an office. WPLS now offers Education right from Lower Kindergarten (LKG) to Class X in both English and Kannada mediums.
WPLS aims at Promoting Peace, understanding & importance of Education amongst the community. The WPLS also aims at undertaking other activities related to this cause. The logo of the school consists of a dove and a book symbolizing the very ideology of WPLS: Promoting Peace & Harmony through Education.