M. D. Obstetrics and Gynecology or Doctor of Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynecology is a three-year post-graduate degree course in Obstetrics and Gynecology which happen to be two surgical-medical specialties concerned with the female reproductive system in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, clubbed as a single medical specialty and postgraduate program. It specializes in Obstetrics Pathology, Gynecological Obstetrics and Gynecology, complications in Obstetrics and Gynecology, common disorders and systematic diseases, complicated and abnormal pregnancies, common obstetric operations, neonatal hygiene, infant care, breastfeeding, artificial feeding, birth injuries, management of premature child, common disorders of a newborn baby and so on. This course is highly career-oriented on completion.
Who can opt for MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
A candidate who wants to enroll for a course in M.D. Obstetrics and Gynecology should have cleared his M.B.B.S degree with a minimum of 55% score marks. He should also be prepared for a post-graduate medical entrance examination conducted at the time of admission by universities/colleges offering this course. This course trains students towards surgical operations conducted on women's reproductive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, including clinical pathology as well. Students opting for this course should have an insight into decision making, problem-solving, and working in emergencies and intense situations. They should possess good communication and interpersonal skills and should be up to date with the science field and other recent discoveries and researches in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology. They should also be intelligent enough to procure knowledge regarding hysteroscopy and other uterine instrumentation, understanding the progress of labor, Caesarean section, etc.
How is MD in Obstetrics and Gynecology beneficial?
This course helps students in evaluating problems, solving them through critical thinking, and applying knowledge, thereby delivering quality service to their patients. They can even take up research work and go in for evidence-based practice or pursue further studies like Ph. D and so on. They can take up jobs as specialists in private or government hospitals and nursing homes in their gynecology and oncology department, critical care medicine, maternal-fetal medicine or reproductive endocrinology department. One can even opt to start a clinic of his own and be self-employed.
FAQ-MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Q: What is MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
Obstetrics and Gynaecology are the two surgical–medical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, respectively, and as such are often combined to form a single medical specialty and postgraduate training program. The course includes Gynaecology, Abnormal Pregnancies, Common Disorders & Systemic Diseases Associated with Pregnancy, Common Obstetrical Operations, Infant Care, Neonatal hygiene, Breastfeeding, Artificial feeding, Management of premature child, Asphyxia, Birth injuries, Common Disorders of New Born, etc.
Q: What is the eligibility for MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
- Candidates should be scoring a minimum aggregate score of 50% at the level of MBBS.
- Some of the reputed colleges and universities conduct an entrance examination for admission.
Q: Which Top institutes offer MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
- Maulana Azad Medical College New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research - [JIPMER] Pondicherry
- Lady Harding Medical College New Delhi
- Madras Medical College Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Grant Medical College Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Sri Ramachandra University Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Government Medical College Amritsar, Punjab
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Christian Medical College Ludhiana, Punjab
- Osmania Medical College Hyderabad, Telangana
- Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical Colleg[BJMC], Pune Maharashtra
Q: What kind of Employment area for MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
- Colleges & Universities
- Govt. Hospitals
- Healthcare Centres
- Medical Institutes
Q: What types of jobs can MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
- General Physician
- Junior Consultant
Apply Now Get More Information
Q: Name such entrance exams held in India for MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
- JIPMER PG
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
- COMEDK PGET
- CMC Vellore
- PU CET.
Q; Suggest the Coaching Centers for Entrance Exam.
- Global Education (Mumbai)
- Gyan Sagar Classes (Mumbai)
- Ideal Classes (Mumbai)
- IMS Institute (Mumbai)
- Insight (Mumbai)
- TIME (Kerala)
- Brilliant (Kerala)
- Bharadwaj Institute (Chennai)
- Career Launcher (Chennai)
- Abhimanu Las Study Group (Chandigarh)
- Bulls Eye Knowledge System (Chandigarh)
- Blaze IAS Academy (Chandigarh)