M. D. Microbiology or Doctor of Medicine in Microbiology is a three-year post-graduate course in the field is Microbiology where sub-specialties of Bacteriology are taught to the candidates in full detail including Virology, Mycobacteriology, Parasitology, Mycology, Immunology, and Serology which in turn would help students in diagnosing and preventing the spread of infectious diseases in the society at large. General Microbiology, Human Immunology, Mycology, and bacterial pathogenesis are the subjects covered under this course. Having completed this course successfully, candidates find many career options waiting for them to pursue.
Who can opt for MD in Microbiology?
Candidates who wish to enroll for this course should have passed their M.B.B.S with minimum marks of 55% and should be prepared to appear for a post-graduation medical entrance examination conducted by reputed universities and institutes offering this course. This course is highly beneficial to those who intend to study the pathogenesis of infectious diseases, the nature of infecting organisms, for laboratory technologists and health care professionals. It helps them diagnose, treat and establish effective relationships with their patients as well. It is suited to those who have a keen mind towards acquiring knowledge about the principles of research methodology and epidemiology. However, such candidates should possess an investigative mind, should have knowledge about recording and analysis techniques, interpreting and presenting data, making use of quantitative and qualitative techniques, statistical programs and spreadsheets, and so on. Moreover, one should possess skills in microscopy, microbial identification, use of safety regulations, and application of scientific thoughts, rationales, and approaches.
How is MD in Microbiology beneficial?
This course produces excellent teachers and specialists who can identify the medical needs of the society as a whole through proper diagnosis and treatment of their diseases and ailments, keeping in mind the objectives of the national health policy and who understand the advancements and developments taking place in the field of medical and diagnostic microbiology. Candidates can become research scientists who are engaged in designing, conducting, and analyzing experiments or become science writers who are involved in researching, writing, and editing scientific news articles and features for business, trade, and professional publications, scientific journals, and the media in general.
FAQ-MD in Microbiology
Q: What is MD in Microbiology?
Candidates acquire knowledge in the sub-specialties of Bacteriology including Mycobacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Immunology, and Serology Mycology to be able to deal with diagnosis and prevention of infectious diseases in the community. Subjects studied under this degree are general microbiology, human immunology, mycology, and bacterial pathogenesis. The course includes general microbiology, human immunology, mycology, and bacterial pathogenesis.
Q: What is the eligibility for MD in Microbiology?
- Candidates should have passed an M.B.B.S. with a minimum of 55% marks from a recognized university board.
- Some reputed colleges and universities conduct an entrance examination for admission.
Q: Which Top institutes offer MD in Microbiology?
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, [AIIMS] New Delhi
- King George's Medical University, [KGMU] Lucknow
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, [JIOPGMEAR] Puducherry
- Maulana Azad Medical College, [MAMC] New Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, [AFMC] Pune
- University College of Medical Sciences, [UCMS] New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Uttar Pradesh
- Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research, [IOPGMEAR] Kolkata West Bengal
- Government Medical College and Hospital, [GMCAH] Chandigarh
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, [LHMC] New Delhi
- Madras Medical College, [MMC] Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Osmania Medical College, [OMC] Hyderabad, Telangana
Q: What kind of Employment area for MD in Microbiology?
- Biotechnology Companies
- Environmental Organisations
- Food and Drink Industry
- Forensic Labs
- Healthcare Organisations
- Research Institutes
Apply Now Get More Information
Q: What types of jobs can MD in Microbiology?
- Additional Professor
- Biological Scientist
- Dental Hygienist
- Medical Scientist
- Medical Secretary
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Surgical Technologist
Q: Name such entrance exams held in India for MD in Microbiology?
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology Entrance Exam (IIMK)
- Mahatma Gandhi University: Faculty of Applied Science Entrance Exam
- University of Calicut Microbiology Entrance Exam
- University of Kerala: Faculty of Science Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Aligarh Muslim University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Assam University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Banaras Hindu University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Goa University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Guru Nanak Dev University M.Sc Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Himachal Pradesh University Shimla - Microbiology Entrance Test
- Lovely Professional University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- M.Sc (Biotechnology)& IIT JAM Entrance Exams
- Mahatma Gandhi University Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education Microbiology Entrance Exam
- Osmania university Microbiology Entrance Exam
- University of Calcutta Microbiology Entrance Exam
- University of Mumbai Microbiology Entrance Exam
- University of Pune Microbiology Entrance Exam
Q; Suggest the Coaching Centers for Entrance Exam.
- Global Education (Mumbai)
- Gyan Sagar Classes (Mumbai)
- Ideal Classes (Mumbai)
- IMS Institute (Mumbai)
- Insight (Mumbai)
- TIME (Kerala)
- Brilliant (Kerala)
- Bharadwaj Institute (Chennai)
- Career Launcher (Chennai)
- Abhimanu Las Study Group (Chandigarh)
- Bulls Eye Knowledge System (Chandigarh)
- Blaze IAS Academy (Chandigarh)