Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- Location: ISM Dhanbad Internal Rd, Sardar Patel Nagar, |
- Estd: 1926 |
- Deemed University
Contact : +91-770-386-5712
The Indian School of Mines was formally opened on 9th December 1926, by Lord Irwin, the then Viceroy of India to address the need for trained manpower related to mining activities in the country with disciplines of Mining and Applied Geology. In 1967 it was granted the status of a deemed to be university under Section 3 of UGC Act, 1956. Since its establishment, ISM has undergone considerable expansion of its activities, and presently it can be considered as a total technology education institute.
In 1967 it was granted the status of a deemed to be university under Section 3 of UGC Act, 1956. Since its establishment, ISM has undergone considerable expansion of its activities, and presently it can be considered as a total technology education institute.The departments of Petroleum Engineering and Applied Geophysics were established in 1957. The departments of Mechanical Engineering and Mining Machinery Engineering, Fuel and Mineral Engineering, Management Studies, and Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering were added in 1975-1977. The Centre of Mining Environment, the Computer Centre, the Centre of Longwall Mine Mechanisation, and the departments of Applied Chemistry, Applied Physics, and Applied Mathematics were established between 1975 and 1977. The department of Computer Science and Engineering was added in 1997. The expansion of the institute into a total technology institute was further accelerated with the establishment of the Department of Electrical Engineering in the year 2005, the Department of Environmental Science and Engineering in 2006, and the Department of Chemical Engineering in 2010.
Situated in the heart of the country’s prime coking coal belt, 260 kms from Kolkata with a campus spread over an area of 393 acres, (with 218 acres of existing campus and 175 acres under acquisition and development) the fully residential ISM has all the facilities of world class academic institute. What started as an institution to impart mining education has graduated into a full-fledged technical institution of international acclaim offering a host of programmes like B. Tech., M. Tech., M. Sc. Tech., and MBA. In addition the School offers M. Phil. and full as well as part time Ph. D. programmes, while also awarding D.Sc. as the highest degree of academic achievement.
The serene campus comprises academic buildings, student hostels and 100% residential facilities for faculty and staff apart from other infrastructure facilities for a cosmopolitan community. The School has links with reputed universities and institutes across the globe and has an alumni base all over the world. The School today is making foray into the newer areas of academic endeavours in tune with the changing times.