NIZAM COLLEGE was established in 1887 by the amalgamation of Hyderabad School and the Madarsa-i-Aliya, Nizam College is one of the oldest and most esteemed institutions of higher education in South India. It was affiliated to the University of Madras for 60 years after its inception, and was made a Constituent College of Osmania University on 19th February 1947.
Dr. Aghornath Chattopadhyay , father of Sarojini Naidu, was the founder principal of the College . The college was first granted Autonomous Status for Undergraduate Courses by the UGC in 1988-89 and has already completed 25 successful years of autonomy.
Nizam College offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Faculties of Arts, Social Sciences, Commerce and Sciences in addition to professional courses such as MBA, MCA, M.Sc.(IS) and BCA. Several of our students are also pursuing doctoral and postdoctoral research. The college received the status of the College with Potential for Excellence both under the X Plan and the XI Plan period. The College is accredited by NAAC in Feb 2012 with 'A' grade with a CGPA of 3.19.
To become a center of excellence in education and research, and continue to occupy a place amongst the most eminent institutions of the nation
- To build across the College a culture of excellence in teaching and learning along with support activities
- To enhance the College standing as the college of choice for students across the country; and cater to the international standards of teaching and learning
- To provide students with a teaching learning experience that develops in them the capacities for creativity, critical judgment, effective communication, and in-depth knowledge
- To enhance the interaction with industry in teaching programmes through guest lectures, seminars, adjunct faculty programs, and industrial/ business internships for students
- To increase the participation of faculty from reputed national and international institutions in symposia, seminars, and short-term courses for students and faculty
- To ensure effective evaluation of teaching/ learning curricula, and co-curricular opportunities of students and teachers
- To provide incentives to teachers and learners for research and consultancy
- To be able to create, innovators, leaders, and entrepreneurs
- To achieve excellence in application-oriented research in different areas so as to contribute to the development of the region and the nation
- To promote co-curricular activities for over-all personality development of the students
- To develop responsible citizenship through awareness and acceptance of value based education
- To provide efficient administration and responsive support for all activities of the College
- To simplify the procedures and increase awareness towards individual accountability
- To provide support system for students that will offer reliable services, including academic and social counseling
- To provide remedial courses to preferentially admitted students and special attention to the physically challenged
- To develop and environment-friendly campus
- To build a family of alumni and friends to create a network of allegiance and support for the College
- To be able to foster among alumni the pride in their almamater